Monday, November 24, 2003

Like the Beetle ritual

Wired News: Feel Free to Jack Into My IPod

A friend of mine - my old art teacher - is a beetle enthusiast. One of the things she loved about them was the small ritual of waving to another beetle owner if you passed one on the road.

She is garrolous, like that, our Chris.

So I'm really interested by the ipod jacking article. I love technology that starts to impinge on lived reality (If you haven't seen it, check out bluejacking...). I think it could be a really interesting way to exchange EPG information once PVRs go mainstream - you just need a little set of 'personality flags' that tell another user who you are, and you could 'scan' for reccomendations in any crowded place. Combined with P2P technology, you could have a massively geographically distributed media sharing network.

Like Napster crossed with a slime mould.

No, really, that's a good thing.

No comments: