Friday, October 27, 2006

Interesting usability error

Blogmusik | Free Internet virtual ipod for Music Albums playlist Mp3 (BETA VERSION)

Now, I have issues with flash. I really don't mind it being used appropriately, but man, it can go SO badly wrong in really subtle ways.

Here's a good example - Tae in the office just sent me this site. I went to register, and had to type in my email address. So I hit the @ sign, which is shift-' on my keyboard, just up and to the right of the full stop and slash keys.

Except it came out as ".

After a few moments of total confusion, and believing that my fingers were at fault, I thought to try my normal " key - shift-2 in this case.

Lo and behold, an @ sign appears.

The designers must work on macs, and have no idea that they've managed to hard code both mac specific, and presumably regional data into their application (I'm assuming that there are regional european differences in keyboard layout, from a brief and very confusing attempt to use WindowsXP-French Edition - which sadly is not known as Microsoft FenetreXP, boo).

Anyway, flash. Sometimes it sucks donkey balls, to coin a phrase.

1 comment:

Martin Belam said...

>> I'm assuming that there are regional european differences in keyboard layout

Oh yes, my new work people have given me a lovely German Sony Vaio, and I have all sorts of exciting extra letters like ö and ä and ü and ß, as well as the 'z' and the 'y' being reversed from what I was used to in the UK.

My @ symbol here is AltGr-Q, heaven knows what that would produce in that flash app